WIP, helmet plume on tactical squad sergeant

This is my first attempt at painting feathered plumes and I think it turned out ok.  I made it a little bit harder for myself by choosing to do two colours but I wanted both the chapter colours in there.



The blue section was based in altdorf guard blue, then washed with drakenhof nightshade and a very careful drybrush of teclis blue to bring out the texture.  The drybrush on the blue was restricted to the edge and top of the feathers to try and give them some highlighting.

The white feathers were based in pale grey, washed with nuln oil and then drybrushed with white.  The top feather was more heavily drybrushed than the lower one to provide the effect of shadowing.

Just the power sword to do.....

2 comments:

  1. I'm really impressed with the plume, and the green stuff work you did is fantastic, I forgot it wasn't an original piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Ieuan, overall I'm really pleased with the way the plume looks. The greenstuff band helps make it look as if it was designed to be there and is my personal triumph on this model as I had never used it before. Ideally I would like to get the white 'whiter' as it looks a little bit too grey.

    ReplyDelete